How to get rid of fleas on your dog

Go down

How to get rid of fleas on your dog

Post  forumtester on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Getting rid of fleas on your dog alone does not treat the overall flea problem. During the flea cycle only about 5% of fleas are actually living on your dog or cat. The other 95% of fleas are living in your house or yard. That is why it is so important to get rid of the fleas and in your house and on your dog at the same time.

Set aside a couple of hours to tackle the flea problem. It is important to treat all of your pets and your home on the same day.

STEP 1 – GET RID OF THE FLEA INFESTATION IN THE HOUSE

The first step is to vacuum. It has already been mentioned that only 5% of the fleas are living on your pet and that the other 95% are living in your house or yard. If you have dogs that live inside or regularly come inside the house you need to get rid of the vast majority of the fleas quickly and easily. You can achieve this by vacuuming them up. The vibrations from vacuuming also stimulates the fleas to emerge from their cocoons and they will be exposed to the insecticide that will later be used. Flea eggs fall randomly wherever your dog or cat goes, but once the eggs hatch they become larvae and have hair like bristles on the outside of their body that enable them to move around. This allows them to move to places they feel most comfortable in. They like to get out of the light and into crevices, so when you vacuum pay lots of attention to places such as near base boards, cracks in floorboards and under furniture, beds and rugs.

STEP 2 – SPRAYING INSECTICIDE FLEA TREATMENT FOR YOUR HOUSE AND BACKYARD

You will need to purchase a flea spray containing IGR (Insect Growth Regulator). It is recommended that you remove any living creature from the house while spraying, including any pet fish or reptiles. After spraying the insecticide try not to vacuum for about a week if possible as the IGR component will have a residual effect.

Fleas can live outside the house in sand and gravel. Spray patios, under decks, verandas, kennels, crevices, along fence lines and anywhere your dog sleeps. It is not usually necessary to spray the entire backyard or areas which are exposed to sunlight as the larvae avoid bright places. The flea spray you use in your house is fine to use in the yard too.

Next wash all of your pets bedding and soft toys. Shake them well and hang them in the sunlight to dry.

STEP 3 – USING A FLEA PRODUCT ON YOUR DOG

The latest treatments are top-spots, which are much safer for both pets and humans. These are applied to the skin, usually between the shoulder blades and disperse through the dog’s coat. Usually applied monthly they include Advantage, Frontline and Revolution. Most top-spot flea treatments can be used on puppies from 8 weeks of age.

Fleas feed on your pet’s blood and make your dog uncomfortable A heavy infestation of fleas can cause your pet to become anaemic and unwell. Flea infestations have been known to kill puppies. Some individual animals are allergic to flea saliva and this causes the pet misery with constant scratching and self-mutilation. The most common allergy dermatitis in cats and dogs is flea allergy. Fleas also spread tapeworm from one animal to another.

If after two weeks you still have a lot of fleas you will need to repeat the 3-STEP treatment again in your house and on your dog. Keep an eye out for tell-tale scratching and act quickly if you suspect even a single flea.

forumtester

Posts : 99
Join date : 2015-12-25

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum